Monday 30 April 2012

Peacock Solar Quartz & Freshwater Pearl Necklace & Earring Set

I had posted pictures here of the stones when I first bought them from Bamiyan Silver last summer, then made this necklace (but never photographed it -- or more likely I did, but I can't remember where I filed it) and it has been sitting on my market table ever since, often admired but yet never finding a good home.

This past Saturday, it was bought by a group of friends -- someone is going to have a great surprise on their birthday in a few days. Shhhhh... other than to say this lady has some great friends who love and admire her very much, my lips are sealed.

I will say, though, I had a great Saturday with several sales and orders, plus I met more new people. It was such fun. It never fails to amaze me how the market will start out sooooooo slow and quiet until 9:30 or 10:00 and then kaboom. A trickle will turn into a deluge of people. Was it the sun coming out that finally pried people out of their jammies and into their cars? It got warmer and warmer as the day progressed, Sunday was lovely, but here we are on Monday, phhht... raining and cold, dark and miserable. Must have been specially ordered to match many people's moods as they frantically try to get their taxes done and filed by midnight. Mine are in Deirdre the Tax Goddess's capable hands...


There is plenty of information on the significance of solar quartz available across the web so I won't bore you by repeating it here, but geologically speaking, solar quartz is white or grey agatized quartz cut horizontally from stalactites. This particular string of beads was cut in a graduated, faceted, teardrop shape which has been dyed a "peacock" colour to highlight the detail of the growth rings (where the term agatized fits in -- all those hard parallel bands) and occasional dendritic mossy inclusions. These are endlessly fascinating stones to gaze upon. The solar quartz beads have been set off by creamy white freshwater pearls. Tiny sterling beads wink like distant stars on either side of each solar quartz bead and a sterling heart clasp holds it all together.

I have one more string of the peacock solar quartz, and I will be stringing it with peacock purple/green-dyed rondelle-shaped pearls I got a couple of weeks ago from Titan Beads to see how the quartz looks with dark pearls instead of creamy white.

I can get more if anyone wants to buy just the string(s), or, to order a complete necklace email me for details and prices.

Thank you for looking!


1 comment:

Hank Hendricks said...

The pearl look so beautiful and simple..i like it.
Pearl Jewelry
Pearl Necklaces
Freshwater Pearls