Monday 16 February 2015

Sea & Beach Glass... & Roman Glass...

While sea and beach glass beads are items I don't carry or use, mainly because I don't have a good source for them -- 20+ years of diligent and dedicated recycling took care of Free Store stock -- I'm still fascinated by it. One of my clearest memories from childhood is sitting in the sun on a pebbly Lake Ontario beach collecting buckets of precious gems, aka sea -- or, more correctly, beach -- glass back in the era when cities dumped their garbage in the Great Lakes. I can still hear the distinct sound made by our feet sinking deep into the fine pebbles as we walked along. And I remember how heartbroken we always were to get home and find our once glittering treasures when dried had become pale frosted shadows.

Just as an FYI, here is a great description of sea and beach glass, lore, legends and links to other sites:

http://thebead.net/index.php/the-bead-blog/294-beautiful-sea-glass?utm_source=The+Bead&utm_campaign=9215936894-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cc93f0bcb5-9215936894-35877305

On the other hand, if it's Roman glass you're looking for...



...come and see me and some really luscious beads at The Gem Expo in Toronto at the Hyatt Regency on March 13th, 14th and 15th. I'll have lots and lots with me in full strings, as well as available by the each. Meanwhile, I'll have Roman glass and other collectible beads with me at the Nostalgia Show and Sale Sunday, March 8th in Woodstock at the Fairgrounds on Nellis Street. Seven days a week there is a good selection of strings on display in Showcase 800 at the One of a Kind Antique Mall in Woodstock, Ontario -- with 10% off during the Cabin Fever Sale all through February.

Thanks for looking!

No comments: