Sunday 21 October 2012

3rd Annual Trucking for a Cure

Better posted (sorry, couldn't resist) later than never, last Saturday, October 13th, Jan and Jim Post of Caravan Candles and Crafts invited me to share their table, cold pavement and intermittent rain -- the pavement and rain won, btw -- with a number of other vendors, trucks, of course, the OPP Golden Helmet Precision Motorcycle Team and hundreds of bipedal supporters at the Trucking For A Cure / (more info) breast cancer truck run that ended at the TA Truck Stop off the 401 in Woodstock.

Why reinvent the wheel? John Tapley, Sentinel-Review reporter, told the story just fine.

All the trucks were decorated in pink, and many of the guys I saw wandering around were wearing "Keep 'Em for the Long Haul" pink breast cancer t-shirts, as well as pink feather boas, pink underwear -- yes! -- over one guy's jeans, pink hats... My stupid camera batteries crapped out on me just after I took my first picture of Jim, number one patron of all the food vendors -- man, those hotdogs were good, eh? I was starving by the time I got there -- and I didn't get pix of the other guys. Too bad, they were all pretty cute. Next year.

Bought some regular batteries inside the truck stop and carried on. Jim and Jan Post...


Great hotdogs and hamburgers courtesy of Arrow Truck Sales. Not to worry, they were just setting up here. There had to be a constant lineup of 20 people once they got cookin' -- and I was first in line, of course. Me 'n' food -- until they ran out. 



Great music by Kerosene Creek...


And of course, lots and lots of trucks. Damn, those things are big -- and pink -- when they're rumbling on by five feet from the table...





PS:
Jim and Jan will be selling their candles at the Woodstock Farmer's Market in mid-or-so November. They make candle pies, tarts and muffins that look and smell so realistic they've almost ended up being heated up for dessert. You'd swear the jars of jam are edible. Jim makes large skull candles, three of which he sold on Saturday. Order early for Christmas.


PPS:
I guess I should add a couple of pictures of the earrings I made especially for this year:


I have one pair of these earrings remaining, although I can make more. Swarovski crystal butterflies ride on top of pink enamel ribbons, sterling silver earwires. Only $12 plus shipping. Please email me if interested and for availability. FYI, I can make larger orders for your fundraising, too. There are quite a number of ribbon colours available in this line of well-made enamel ribbons.
See you at the truck stop next year!

No comments: